Chicken, tomato, onion stew with pasta
- 4 Chicken legs on the bone
- 1 Red onion
- 2 Cloves of garlic or some ready crushed shit
- Some chilli flakes (leave the amount up to you - don't overpower it, if you use a lot, put it in early)
- Couple of mushrooms cut into small slices or cubes
- Tablespoon of olive oil
- Cup of water (loads of fluid, we will cook the shit out of it)
- 2 large tomatoes
So now you have the ingredients, fry the chicken on a medium heat for 10 minutes or so - so the skin is browned. While you do this, put everything else in a pot, chop the tomatoes quite liberally so they are thick slices - make sure the pot is big enough to allow everything to sit and stew.
Make your own:
- Get a 330ml pot of ready made tomato sauce with basil, or
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 more really finely chopped/crushed large tomatoes
- Water - a cup?
- Salt, pepper
You want to give it a good stir and heat this up the same time you fry the chicken. Then when everything is hot, put the chicken in and stir it a bit.
Then leave it for like 20 minutes on medium/low heat and cover it. Then give it a quick stir and put the lid back on. We want the chicken to cook through properly, and this will be much better with the lid on.
So leave for another 10 or 15, until it's bubbled away for some time and the chicken will be done. Check the chicken if you like, it will probably be falling off the bone anyway at this stage.
Then uncover, and leave again - you may need to increase the heat a couple of notches to get it bubbling with no lid -but watch the burning on the pan. Stir more often!
While this is bubbling away, leave until it's a bit more cooked down, then stick the pasta on, if you want it with pasta. Will be good with rice too.
You can crack some pepper on it just before serving.
Great with red wine, or a cold lager if you made it spicy.
Also - leaving this in the fridge for a night, then cooking up again next day with a bit of water and oil is great. The flavours really get into the chicken.